S2AS - News

Sunday 29 June 2008

Slingshot Rev 2009 Kite Review By S2AS

Slingshot Rev 2009 Kite Review By S2AS

The S2AS team have just got back from Lake Garda in Italy after having 3 amazing days testing the new Slingshot Rev 2009 kite.
The Slingshot Rev 2009 has some very important changes. Before I arrived at the test I was unsure as to what Slingshot could do to improve on the Slingshot 2008 Rev. I soon found out that they had made many changes.
New Features on the Slingshot Rev 09 are...

1,Surf Proof Seams – Surf Proof seams makes the kite stronger and more durable. When the kite is dropped in the surf or the shore dump it will withstand the punishment. Not that we had any problems with the 2008 Slingshot Rev!

2, The Graphics - Graphics are no big deal I know, but people like to know what the new kite will look like so some pictures have been put up here for you guys to see. There is a real nice touch on the wing tips of the kite and a Slingshot spikeball screen print. Personally I think it looks so cool but the overall Graphics i do not like and i feel that this is the place Slingshot Kiteboarding have let them selfs down but make your own mind up.

3, Bar Pressure Adjustment Tabs – You can adjust the rear line pigtails (3 options) so that you can ADD bar pressure. If you’re coming from a C shape kite you will know all about bar pressure and how important it is to be able to feel where the kite is in the sky without having to look at it all the time. The bar pressure adjustment tabs will also help beginners as they will be able to feel where the kite is when in the air. Unlike some brands where the bar is super light and you have to keep an eye on the kite at all times. There is more to this feature, however this will be mentioned later within the review.

4,The Control Bar – The Slingshot Rev 09 has a new bar, with a softer grip and the diameter of the hole has been increased. This will reduce chicken rope wear considerably. The softer grip will stop forearm fatigue caused by long sessions on the water. The new bar features will give you a better grip for when you are carrying out unhooked tricks. Nice new colours too!

That’s it for the new features, now for the review:

The bag and the kite both look the same as they did for 2008. Is this a good or a bad thing? I couldn’t decide as the Slingshot Rev 08 was so good and I felt it didn’t need any alterations. Well after flying the 2009 Rev I changed my mind straight away!!!
Oh forgot to say - Lake Garda has no beaches so we had to launch from a boat. That’s all cool though, I have done this loads of times before, however not with a new kite that I have never used - this could have been bad!! Also a 13m kite was being used in 11knots!
When I pumped up the kite for the first time I thought nice new graphics!! I then connected the lines, let the kite drift off down wind, waited for the line tension and pulled on the left line - up she went just like the 2008 Slingshot Rev - Still super easy to re-launch – sweet!! I jumped out of the boat and the wind felt light. I sent the kite and “wow” the pull is unreal – I was instantly on the plane! Two sines and I parked the kite at 45 degrees - just park and ride!! It felt so sweet, so smooth and precise and the bar felt light. My first impressions of the difference between the 2008 and 2009 Rev was that the low end was better. Last years Rev did not get me going as early! Other than that and the feel of the actual bar [softer grip] the kite felt the same.
I did a couple of runs with no jumping just to get a feel of the kite. After about 30 minutes the wind dropped off! This was not good but ‘not a problem’ as I still had another day left!! The locals told me that it would be 15-18 knots - perfect!
The next day I went out on the 13m again - it was about 15knots!! I planed with ease and did a couple of unhooked tricks - no drama’s at all, the kite felt smooth and powerful. I then decided to make some changes to the kite to test the features that have been introduced for 2009. I started with the bar pressure adjusters. I moved the pigtail on the back lines in one as I was told that this would give me more bar pressure. I then went back out immediately and it felt like I was flying a different kite. If I had not changed the settings myself I would have sworn that it was not the same kite.
It felt similar to a C-kite. Many people have problems going from c-kites to hybrid kites and back again. It can be done but it takes practice for you to feel comfortable with the kite and to get the light feel on the bar. So now I have the de-power of a Slingshot Rev 08 and the safety of a rev 08 but the feel of a C-kite.
I took the kite down again and moved the setting on the back lines to the furthest setting away from the wingtip. I was told that this would provide more bar pressure, and it did!! The bar pressure increased for a more c-shape kite feel, however it was not too dramatic. On the Slingshot Rev 2008 I felt that the kite unhooked well when it was de-powered slightly. When I was riding the Rev 2009 on the same setting, i unhooked and the kite just sat there in the window in fact I was so happy I rode the width of the lake unhooked. I did not get pulled off my edge or feel the gusts in my shoulders, it was just ultra smooth like the fuel. The wind then picked up to 18 knots and I was still riding comfortably.
I felt so comfortable that I went for an F16 and “wow” did the kite loop. Hell yeah - I came down hard but I went high, lots of time in the air, very big pull and lots of power though the loop. I was so happy that at 18knots I could get such height and power out of the kite. The settings that I had altered had changed the turning of the kite, it turned slower but with a wide arc, very wide for ANY hybrid kite.
It was then time to try the 11m as I know companies make a good kite then let themselves down on other sizes...

One word: SAME!!!!

The low end wind range was so good, like the 13m. As there wasn’t enough wind I was unable to test the full potential of the kite. At 20 knots on the 11m I still had not pulled in any de-power, so the full wind range of this kite is yet to be seen [by myself]!!
The only thing that I did on the 11m kite that I did not do on the 13m was test the CSS (CENTER SAFTEY SYSTEM). Slingshot did not and have not pushed or informed people of how good it really is! Let me – it is the best safety system on the market!! I can assure you that this system is simple, easy and effortless to reset ON THE WATER!
The industry leading safety system of 2008 continues to excel on the 2009 Slingshot Rev. You can pull the release system on the chicken loop, whilst in the water out of your depth, and the bar travels about 15 metres up the centre line. It may seem that your session is all over and that you are swimming back to the beach, but you will have the kite back in the air and riding within 20 seconds. This is done by pulling on the centre line until you reach the bar, enabling you to hook back in and re-seat the safety system at ease. Guiding the centre line allows the kite to sit in the correct re-launching position. I did this 7 times on the 11m and every time there was 100% no problems as we previously found with the 2008.
If you have a Slingshot Rev 2008 and you are looking for that bit more, or you are unhooking more, I would say that the upgrade to the Slingshot 2009 Rev is well worth it!!!! The surf proof seams are another beneficial factor of the kite as you can crash the kite hard and there’s no need to worry!!
If you don’t have a Rev, but you want a kite that is easy to re-launch from the water, is strong, feels like a C-shape kite or hybrid and would like the best safety system you can get - you know what I will say... “GET A SLINGSHOT REV 09!”
I have a 13m and 11m here in the UK so if you want to try the new Slingshot Rev 09 give me a call on 01202 738448 and I will be happy to give you the kite to demo for the day. If you simply want more information just give myself or your local Slingshot dealer a call.

An awesome kite!!!!!

I hope this is a good read for you all.More pics will be added to our website within the next 48hrs.
Angelo
S2AS Team
http://www.s2as.com/