S2AS - News

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Youri Zoon Talks about His Gear and the PKRA




Youri Zoon Talks about His Gear and the PKRA


Youri Zoon, Bromwich photo 
John Bryja: Congratulations on winning the first PKRA event for 2012 in Morocco. What do you think of the new PKRA scoring format?
Youri Zoon: I think it's a very good way to push things forward in the heats, especially with the live scoring system. It will make a big difference.

 




Did you adjust your riding style for your heats?
Yes because you can only do 12 attempts, and only the best 7 tricks will count. I use my time now to do bigger and more technical tricks, rather than doing more smaller tricks that would be good in the overall impression (the system we had before).


A big upset today. What happened in the heat against Liam Whaley?
Yea biggggg upset. I was just riding like a bag of .... Incredible and I was feeling pretty good for the event strong wind really my thing. Mayby just a bad bad day.


Under the new scoring is it harder to recover from a bad start to a heat?
Nope, Normaly is easier to recover youself since you only have to do 7 good tricks.

Alex Pastor is riding boots this year, do you think straps give you an advantage over him in certain conditions?
I think boots or straps has it advantage in certain conditions. When it's light or gusty I think straps will have some advantage but when it's a bit choppy boots might work better.

Are you planning to wear boots for any of the events?
Sliders and kickers I ride boots 100% for sure, and maybe in the future freestyle as well. Never say never.

Youri Zoon in Morocco. Bromwich photoWhat board are you riding this year?
I still ride the same board as last year, it's a production Brunotti Youri Zoon model . In 2013 I will ride a little bit bigger one. My stance is 48 cm. My board doesn't have that much rocker which makes it a fast board, and I like to go big!


Do you switch back and forth between Slinghsot RPM’s and Fuels, if so when and why?
I have been riding the Slinghsot RPM since it was out in 2009. I like the kite a lot and it proved itself in a lot of different conditions. I like the 8/9/10 meter kites the most.

Do you notice any improvements over last years kites?
Yes the kites are way more efficient and move a lot better. Also they are easier to ride.

What trick would you consider your secret weapon, and what were the keys to learning it?
Mmm I think I win most of my heats because I try to ride as powerful and fast as possible, and sometime's taking a lot of risk but the judges reward this as well.


Describe the trick list of your perfect heat:

Frontmobe 5
Blindjude 5 or 7
Backmobe 7
317
Kgb 5
Slim7
Kiteloop 7 


That would for me would be the best heat. If it's gonna happen one day... we will see.


Thanks Youri, best of luck during the double eliminations later this week.
Thanks.